PURCHASE — Rob Corcoran probably shouldn’t look at leaderboards.
There’s a long list of marquee names lurking within three shots of the Poxabogue Golf Center teaching professional heading into the final round of the Lincoln Met PGA Championship.
One errant shot at Century Country Club might very well change everything.
Corcoran shot a 4-under 67 on Wednesday before the winds really picked up to grab the lead. He is 3-under for the championship, one shot in front of Sunningdale assistant Kyle Baehler (68) and Paramount head pro Steve Scott (76).
Scott began the day on top after going 7-under in the opening round.
“I’ve worked on my game a lot this year,” said Scott, a Canadian and Nationwide Tour player who is best known for losing to Tiger Woods in sudden death at the 1996 U.S. Amateur. “I had put it on the back burner for whatever reason, but I’m trying to recapture the way I know that I can play. I like where I am right now, I just have to play more aggressively in the final round.”
The course is providing a complete test, and countless golfers were left shaking their heads while adding up the damage.
“Oh, man, this course is awesome,” said GlenArbor director of golf Rob Labritz, whose 71 landed him in a fourth-place tie at 1-under. “It’s a pleasure to play this course right now. It’s firm and fast. There’s nothing quirky about it.”
Burning Tree assistant Danny Balin is also in the group at 141.
“With the course playing this firm, there are probably only a few people who can win,” said Balin, the defending champion. “There’s a lot you have to think about on a golf course like this.”
Montauk Downs assistant Paul Dickinson is the other player tied at 1-under.
There’s a world of experience among the five players tied for seventh at 142: Jim Wahl of Whippoorwill, Charlie Meola of Saxon Woods, Sean Farren of The Creek, Frank Bensel of Century and Darrell Kestner of Deepdale.
It’s going to be difficult for the players four shots back to leapfrog the leaders, but that group has golfers who are capable of going low: Darien’s Cory Muller, Westchester’s Bruce Zabriski, Purchase’s Carl Alexander and Metropolis’ John Guyton.
Lincoln Met PGA Championship
At Century C.C. – Par 71
Round 2 results
1. Rob Corcoran, Poxabogue 72-67-139
2. Kyle Baehler, Sunningdale 72-68-140
2. Steve Scott, Paramount 64-76-140
4. Paul Dickinson, Montauk Downs 73-68-141
4. Rob Labritz, GlenArbor 70-71-141
4. Danny Balin, Burning Tree 72-69-141
7. Jim Wahl, Whippoorwill Club 71-71-142
7. Charlie Meola, Saxon Woods 69-73-142
7. Sean Farren, The Creek 72-70-142
7. Frank Bensel, Century 71-71-142
7. Darrell Kestner, Deepdale 72-70-142
12. Cory Muller, Darien 72-71-143
12. Bruce Zabriski, Westchester 72-71-143
12. Carl Alexander, Golf Club of Purchase 71-72-143
12. John Guyton, Metropolis 74-69-143
(Photo: John Guyton of Metropolis C.C.)