Rob Labritz is making another grab for the William A. Mitchell trophy.
The director of golf at GlenArbor is tied for the lead at the POLO Golf Met PGA Head Pro Championship after shooting a 3-under 68 on Tuesday at North Shore Country Club. He carded five birdies and two bogeys and was matched by Mill River’s Jason Caron and Tam O’Shanter’s Mark Brown.
Labritz has won this championship three times. He went back-to-back in 2013-2014, but was unable to play last spring after undergoing surgery to correct a thyroid issue. The 43-year-old from Pound Ridge came back from an off-season skiing accident and won the Westchester PGA Championship last month.
“I’ve been working really hard on my game, working really hard on my putting,” he said. “I hate to use a cliche, but all of that time spent working on my game and teaching is really paying off right now.”
A number of local head pros are in play heading into Wednesday’s final round.
Mount Kisco’s Chris Case, Saxon Woods’ Charlie Meola and Sunningdale’s Christopher Toulson are all three shots back. The Golf Club of Purchase’s Carl Alexander and St. Andrew’s Greg Bisconti opened with 1-over 72s.
POLO Golf Met PGA Head Professional Championship
At North Shore Country Club – par 71
1. Rob Labritz, GlenArbor 35-33-68
1. Jason Caron, Mill River 34-34-68
1. Mark Brown, Tam O’Shanter 33-35-68
4. Matt Dobyns, Fresh Meadow 33-37-70
5. Chris Case, Mount Kisco 34-37-71
5. Charlie Meola, Saxon Woods 33-38-71
5. Christopher Toulson, Sunningdale 35-36-71
8. Carl Alexander, Golf Club of Purchase, 37-35-72
8. Greg Bisconti, Saint Andrew’s 37-35-72
10. Christopher Marinaro, Muttontown 37-36-73
11. Sean Quinlivan, Piping Rock 38-36-74
11. Jamie Kilmer, Wheatley Hills 36-38-74
11. Brian Gaffney, Quaker Ridge 34-40-74
11. Bob Rittberger, Garden City 37-37-74
15. James Ondo, Apawamis Club, 37-38-75
15. Steve Donnelly, Pine Hollow 37-38-75
15. Shaun Powers, Fairview 36-39-75
15. Michael Laudien, Rotella 36-39-75